A blog of my responses and reflections on web 2.0 applications and how they relate to my work in public libraries. Should be fun.

Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Oh boy! RSS again!


From last year I had this post, and this post and finally this post on RSS.  I just didn't get them for a long time, they didn't seem to speak my language and early on we didn't seem to want to be at the same places. But I've lived companionably with GoogleReader for 21 months now and we're still going strong.  I don't see a separation looming anytime soon.


So not love at first sight unlike many of the applications, but I now read it everyday and add and take out links as I need.  If I haven't seen anything I'm interested in reading on a blog for a while I unsubscribe and clear the clutter.  If I wish to search for a specific topic through all my feeds, GoogleReader has a search option at the top of the screen.  Though not as convenient as a rinse like Feed Rinse I don't usually look for any one thing and like the scan the news and library blogs for things of interest.

I can't say I organise my feeds, I don't have that many: a news feed, a few funny blogs, friends blogs, blogs relating library learning and a few other work related ones.  There would be less than 20 feeds and they don't all post everyday.  For the blogs that do post more than once a day, I scan the headings for something that interests me and mark the rest as read hiding them from my screen.

I set up a Feed Rinse for ABC new: Just In blog asking for any posts on cats and dogs. And did get a post on Pandas being genetically similar to dogs, I also receive a post on a helicopter crash that I couldn't see my search terms in.  Not a great success, I could have done that with a scan of the headlines.

FiltermyRSS had no more success in finding articles with dogs in them, and didn't have the convenience of being delivered to my reader. 

Tabloid was cute.  Creating a pdf of the current posts from whatever blog you stick in.  Not sure how I can share it besides just sending it as an attachment to an email.  Mind you it does make a very presentable version of the post which could be handing for making a printout for someone.  Cute, but really useful?
Google alerts, did that and talked about it here.  I've had to remove them already as the one on my suburb was just too depressing.

 I can see a need for such filters to find quality information on subjects and don't want to be wading through posts.  In saying that many posts are already on a particular subject and these filters are not very refined searches.  I'd be pretty disapppointed with any searchengine I was using that came back with the results I've seen here.  In the end, I'm glad people are thinking about these sorts of things and making them available, but me and my RSS are doing just fine thank, just the way we are.



No comments:

So...why am I here?