A blog of my responses and reflections on web 2.0 applications and how they relate to my work in public libraries. Should be fun.

Search This Blog

Thursday, March 6, 2008

Week 3: RSS

Hmmm... not quite sure what I think of RSS. Let's go through the questions and see if a definite opinion shakes loose.

What do you like about RSS and newsreaders?
I guess having one place to go to for all the things I want keep up to date with. The ability to not have think "Now what else do I need to check" is nice. I can't say I have an issue with keeping up with the things I personally want to check and don't have an issue unsubscribing to emails I no longer want.

What sites did you select for your RSS reader?
Newspapers mostly, and I think this is where it would be good. Having never played with a digital book I'm not sure of their programs, but I could see a tablet connected to an RSS full of newspapers that is updated constantly through a wireless network would be a really great thing.

How do you think you might be able to use this technology in your work?
Besides the above idea I guess it could be good for keeping all the online subscriptions organised and easy to view. I don't know about in other libraries, but online subscriptions don't seem to get a lot of use because their organisation is clumsy and requires several steps to get to the information. With RSS you'd just click the title and you'd be on the top page for that database.

How can libraries use RSS or take advantage of this new technology?
Well again, other than organising the multiple websites libraries collect on a regular basis I'm not quite sure. I guess I'll have to check other peoples ideas for this one.

I personally am a bit ambivalent about RSS, it just seems to be another techy toy that I have to join. I do think though, with a good reader program, a RSS could be a very useful tool for organising sites that often disappear or move. I will see what others have to say, maybe I just haven't seen RSS's full potential.

No comments:

So...why am I here?