A blog of my responses and reflections on web 2.0 applications and how they relate to my work in public libraries. Should be fun.

Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Managing Management

More and more my work is being dominate by events.  Unlike a regular activity on a weekly or fortnightly basis, management and customers are demanding bigger spectacles where large number of can participate.  I can see a  place for application like the ones below to help co-ordinate these events in the future.

Doodle was really just a scheduling application much like in Outlook.  Outlook is used extensively at work so though Doodle is a cute program I can't see us moving to it in the future.  Here is my scheduled meeting,   Christmas Day.

Google Calendar suffers the same problem as Doodle where many of the things it can do are already done within the Outlook program.  I actually see more potential for myself co-ordinating meetings outside of work.  I will keep both Doodle and Google Calendar in mind next time I have to try and get a group of people together.

Eventbrite was a more unique program that allowed you to create tickets and even take payments for events.  Though I didn't play with the payment option, I did create an event, for which the website is here.  It was easy to use and as you can see, modify for a more corporate look.  Again, I don't know if we could use it at work with security issues always the main priority, but it is good to know it's there.

2 comments:

pls@slnsw said...

Do you think Doodle and Google Calendar might be more useful working with people outside your own organisation (eg. not on your Outlook system)?

Mylee (PLS)

miztres said...

That is very true, but then they would have to also use Google Calendar so not so useful for customers where you need a universal feature.

I could see it being useful for a community group or other non-profit organisation like scout or guides. Participants can all have Google accounts making it easy to organise events.

As for in the library...well, I'll keep it in mind.

So...why am I here?