A blog of my responses and reflections on web 2.0 applications and how they relate to my work in public libraries. Should be fun.

Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Ner... wot up Google docs?

Another favourite of mine.  I've used Googledocs for: story ideas with access wherever there is a computer, writing letters to friends that can be shared or just send as an attachment straight from Googledocs, a handy place for storing large files when I want to share them with others and just a handy dandy notebook that is there in front of me whenever I open to my homepage.

I know the Google people making constant improvements to the programs but some of these tips and tricks were new on me. Here are one ones

What google doc tips did you find the most useful?

I think I like the below tip from techradar.  I say 'think' as I can't download the program required at work and I'm not sure if the program will work on my mac at home.  Without going through the process of downloading I can't seem to find out from the website.  I do find I want access to Googledoc files offline, but have the hassle of cutting and pasting once I'm back online again.  This would be a great way of syncing both the copy in my laptop with the copy stored online.

Synchronise documents
The free personal edition of back-up tool Syncplicity enables you to connect your Google Docs account with a designated folder, which in turn can be synchronised with a folders on your computer. So, to add new files to Google Docs, you just drag them to the synchronised folder. Sign up and select "Apps" in "My Syncplicity", then "Google Docs" to configure the tool.


What google doc tips would you like to share?

I do like the sorting option where you create 'folders' but your documents aren't so much in a folder as attached to it.  This way the document can be attached to several different folders, and search for items through the 'folders' like subject headings.  For example I have several folders:  quotes, letters and stories.  If I write to my friend about a story I'm planning to write and also add a few cool quotes that I'd picked up, that document, My friends letter can be linked to all three folders and will come up if I click on any one of those folders.

Adding a Googledocs widget to your iGoogle page is probably mynumber one favourite thing about Googledocs.  You can leave the Googledocs widget open so you can gain direct access to document from your iGoogle page, or you can minimise Googledocs so none of the titles are visible

No comments:

So...why am I here?